Music theory is the keystone of music. It is the "guts" of music. We hope that our little course can help educate you with maximum effectiveness and minimum confusion. Music theory comprises the rules that make music sound good, and enable music to be written and played by musicians.
Included in this section are areas of use to beginners, such as basic notation, and jargon. More advanced topics include TAB and key signatures.
- Dictionary explains to the novice some of the common and uncommon vocabulary found within our site and in the world of music.
- Notation includes: how to sight read, the differences between notes, and explanations of dynamics and time signatures.
- Intervals discusses the distances between notes.
- Scales and key signatures discusses different scale patterns.
- TAB is a musical notation for guitar players.
- And the quiz tests you on your knowledge of the information presented in this section.
Also be sure to check out our FLASH keyboard that can help your understanding of the theory presented here.